Saturday, January 31, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
I can't believe it's been a decade already.
Last I wrote we finished first grade. Birthday party invitations had stopped coming from classmates. Little brother was getting in to Michael's stuff - grrrr... We were on the cusp of sibling rivalry starting. Michael was coasting through the academics of school but could barely hold it together emotionally to finish the day.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
If you guys have given me an award or tag and I didn't use it - I apologize. I know I have forgotten to play along on some of the tags recently but I'm going to claim mom craziness. Believe me, I loved being mentioned and thought of. Please forgive me.
I can't HONESTLY tell you that the sign makes sense, but I didn't make it. I just follow the rules.
I'm supposed to tell you 7 things about myself and then tag some others.
Oh my. I'm pretty sure you have heard it all at this point!
I'll give it a try...
1. I had strawberry blond hair until around the time I turned 4. That's when it went blond. My grandmother was so disappointed since she used to be a redhead. She had high hopes for me. Wish she could have seen my Michael. Now I just help it along to keep it blond, but I was once a red head!
2. I hate being cold. I worry about getting cold. I see things on TV and think - wow that really looks cold! However, I do love to ski so I bundle up really warm.
3. My hair is naturally very wavy. I go to a lot of trouble to get rid of the wave and frizz! Straightening shampoo, straightening conditioner, straightening gel then blow it dry while pulling the hair straight the whole time. And then the final touch of the straightening iron. It's a lot of trouble but my, oh my - I can't take the frizz. It's one of the few sacrifices I'm willing to make when it comes to appearance.
4. I'm missing a bone in my little toe that causes shoes to fit me wrong. It's a real problem! The other weird part of this story is that my sister had to have surgery on both of her feet. The same bone that is missing on my foot was triangular shaped on her foot! I'm very picky about my shoes because I don't want to have surgery (which is probably inevitable).
5. I read every night just before going to bed. I can't sleep if I don't! I'm currently reading Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell. If you like murder mystery kind of stuff - I recommend that series starting with Body of Evidence. Next book is going to be Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. As a kid I would run out of books and read the same one over and over again. Childhood favorites were Diary of Anne Frank and Heidi. I also read everything from the Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Bobbsey Twins series... many times over.
6. I'm a horrible shopper. The only time I actually enjoy shopping is when I'm with girlfriends but only the casual shoppers. Can't go with you bargain hunters or picky people. It's just way too involved! As a rule, I don't want to take the time to find the perfect fit, the best price, the perfect look. I will buy the it'll do just so I can be done. Online shopping has been a dream come true for me - except for shoes. I have to try shoes on to know if they will work.
7. I'm a phone call phobic. I know. Whoever heard of such a thing? I hate calling people that I don't already talk to every day. I have severe anxiety about dialing the phone and waiting for them to answer! I will do everything I can to avoid making that call - email, text, beg someone else to call. Doesn't matter how much I adore them or how nice they are. I don't even like to call and order pizza. I know. This officially classifies me as weird (if the rest of the list or even this blog didn't convince you already). I'm okay with it. It's how I roll. I'm also working on it. Seems to be getting worse the older I get.
So there you have it. Seven things that I don't think I've told you yet. I may have to take a pass on the next get to know you just because you probably know as much as I'm going to tell!
And now it is your turn. I'm tagging:
Out on a Lam
The Southern Family
A Day in the Life of Ro
This Mommas Musings
And hey, tag yourself if you like and link in the comments section. I got tired and lazy but I'd love to read your lists.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
And by the way - Pikachu is looking for a home.
Over here it is ice, ice baby. And it's too cold (too cold). Annie will like that with her love of rap.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Here is Dawn ready for a fun night out. Her daughter Courtney designed my outfit. I love that she added bright red lipstick!
I think it will be hard for anyone to make a better outfit for Flat Baloney. Courtney deserves an award for that!
Here is Flat Baloney with Dawn and her BFF Michelle.
Bud light is not my friend.
Thanks Dawn & Co. for a fun evening! Flat Baloney appreciated the night out!
The real Baloney looks forward to the next OK Blogger Hoedown!
Monday, January 26, 2009
Sunday, January 25, 2009
You aren't seeing double -- you are seeing Michael's new trick! Learned it from Kim's A#2 when we were in Ft. Worth.
Kim has been waiting for me to post those.
I have spent this past week trying to get organized (one of those posted resolutions!).
I've performed the bi-annual toyectomy and donated boxes full of toys. We got rid of a whole lotta stuff that hasn't been played with in a while. By "we" I mean "me".
While I catch you up on the o-so-interesting happenings of my past week, I will post some fun pictures as well. Here are Kim and Steph (high school friends) meeting me at Grapevine Mills before I went to pic the Doc up from his C.E. class.
Came home from Fort Worth on Sunday - which turned out to be Jacob's first fever-free day in over a week. I think Monday was the day my crud started. It has been a gradual process leading up to the always inevitable bronchitis. I expect to be in the doctor's office by the end of the week begging for some steroids. Asthma = fun. Since moving to this part of Oklahoma, I have been in the doctor's office at the end of January each and every year. All visits within a week of the date the year before. Hate to break with tradition!
If you know anyone who makes faces at the camera more than us, I would like to meet them. Not sure what our problem is! Regular pictures are just so... boring.
Now you are caught up.
I have a blog with such substance.
Another Story of Michael installment coming up this week.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
I'll bet he is asked to be best man for a lot of weddings!
On another note:
The winner of the nosepicker prize is...
DRUM ROLL, PLEASE
Thanks to all of you who left comments. You are my favorites. :)
I wrote the names down on little papers and had Jacob hand me one.
It was a very involved and scientific process.
So, Miss Shannon... mousepad or t-shirt? I have a large and an XL t-shirt available. We can wear them to board meetings, etc. whenever we go places together.
Let me know what you think of the video.
Friday, January 23, 2009
We even call the toilet funny names such as "the Throne."
But this week, I haven't felt like laughing about potty humor.
My 5 year old has resumed the potty issues. There's been poop in his pants. Poop in the bathtub (yeeeeeshhh). For good measure, we've even thrown in some good bed wetting here and there.
The toilet keeps running. They weren't flushing correctly. And then there were the run overs. We don't want to talk about how many times my toilets have backed up and poured human waste out on to my floors in the past few months.
It was time to call the plumber. About a year past time to call him if you really want to know.
And the plumber arrived and told me just what I needed to fix my problem. You may not find this as funny as I did, but I can't believe that they said it with a straight face.
I needed TWO ballcocks and FIVE corkies. Found out later that I would be needing two handles as well. Do these toilet part names sound a little suggestive to you? First the tangelos - now this. IT'S EVERYWHERE!!
In case you are wondering... here is a photo of a corky. Not MY corky - A corky. I would never post my own corky on the internet.
And here's my next bit of education for you. What you are about to see is a ballcock. I'm wondering who in the heck named this thing. Who looked at this contraption and thought... "I think I'll call this a ballcock."
Who knew plumbers were so funny?
Which came first potty humor or potty names? Chicken or the egg?
Must take a lot of practice for these guys to keep a straight face while they flash corkies in people's faces and tell them they need a ballcock.
I'm sure when we get the bill we won't be laughing anymore.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
They like me... they really really like me!
I don't really know WHO "they" are, but someone voted for me. And for that I thank you.
I didn't know I'd been nominated until I saw Georgie's comment. I immediately clicked on the link and scrolled through. Lots of options listed -- Best Overall, Best Humor, Best Family Blog, Best Looking... none of them had my name on them. I was beginning to think that Georgie was playing a mean prank!
But then I saw it. It was a moment of laughter and horror all at once!
Best Unusual Blog.
So this is where you categorize me.
I could sit and try to read a lot in to it, but I won't. I'm honestly just flattered that people thought of me in the first place! So if you were one of them. Thank you from the bottom of my unusual heart.
And of course I am nominated on the day that I write about the similarities of tangelos and boobs. Dang!
If you are a member of BlogOklahoma then you can vote! Here is the link and details...
Only Okie bloggers with active Okie blogs at the start of nominations (Jan. 2) are eligible. "Active" is defined as having at least one blog post during the last 60 days of 2008. An "Okie blog" is defined as having at least one active blog author residing within the state of Oklahoma. All Okie Blog Awards are decided only by Okie bloggers. A blogger cannot vote for his or her own blog.A blogger can only vote for one blog per category.The voting period ends on Feb. 7, 2009.Copy and paste the following entry list with your vote for each and send to email@example.com
Best Overall Blog ------Best Political Blog ------Best Family Blog ------Best Humor Blog ------Best Audio Blog ------Best Looking Blog ------Best Unusual Blog ------Best Writing Blog ------Best Commentary ------Best Culture Blog ------Best Inspirational Blog ------Best Commercial Blog
Your blog address --------- You must include a link to your own blog in the email.
So, welcome Okie Bloggers who are checking out my unusual-ness.
If you are voting... Pick me! Pick me!! I'm your favorite weird one!!
And please, check out some my blog pals and their lovely blogs that were nominated:
Having A Ball
Pleeze Pass Tha Pees but Holde Da KoRn (AnnieBananie)
Bloggin It From the Burbs
Oh boy. Did I miss anyone? If I did, let me know and I will fix it!
I'd love to have your vote. I checked out the competition and I don't have a chance! So, just know I'm thrilled that you guys thought of me. I'm excited to see some new faces visiting and hope they leave comments! I'm also looking forward to checking out some new blogs.
So, there. I said it. Congrats to the nominees and good luck to you!
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
When you think or oranges, you picture something like this: Round. Orange. Easy to identify, yes?
Then after the Swingle man created the Orlando Tangelo, someone with a sense of humor created the Minneola variety. If you think about the name long enough, you'll get where I'm headed.
Sounds a little like another word that I won't be typing but may be appropriate for the "characteristic knob at the stem end of the orange."
And while we are learning new things... I learned something new about one of Doc's assistants this weekend. She had to travel with us for the class Doc was taking in Texas.
Such a pretty girl with such talent. Wish I had the whole thing on film but I caught her in the middle of it. Here's what I'm talking about:
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Autism Links - Educate Yourself